Huntingdon men pick up second win of the season | Schools
The Huntingdon men’s basketball team took control in the first half Wednesday and knocked off Millsaps 75-61. The win was the second of the season for the Hawks (2-6).
“We played great defense, we rebounded well and we shot free throws well. When you do those three things, wins are a lot easier to come by,” Huntingdon head coach Mike Pugh said. “Those are three areas we’ve struggled in this season but we’ve been working hard to improve and it showed tonight.”
Huntingdon built a double-digit lead in the first half and led by as many as 14 points before taking a 40-35 lead at the half. The Hawks opened the second half with a 6-0 run to push their lead back to 11 points. Huntingdon built as much as a 20-point lead in the second half and led by at least 14 points for the final 12 minutes of the game.
Terry Moorer finished with 12 points, 11 rebounds and six blocked shots to lead Huntingdon. Austin Hill scored a game-high 15 points and pulled down six rebounds and Jason Varney added 11 points and five rebounds. Jeremiah Thomas finished with 10 points and six rebounds.
“Terry had a big game for us. He had a double-double, and in addition to blocking six shots, he probably forced them to alter another six shots,” Pugh said. “I was pleased with the way a lot of our guys played tonight. Jason and Austin both came off the bench and played well for us. When you can get 26 points and 11 rebounds from the bench, that’s something we’ve needed.”
Huntingdon returns to action on Saturday at Roland Arena, hosting Berry at 2 p.m. The game will be broadcast live here.
Source: Huntingdon College Sports Information Director
Top Opelika Stories
Upcoming Events near Opelika
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/10, 6/11
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Auburn Police reminding citizens to lock their doors following recent thefts
- Auburn man arrested for allegedly stabbing man in the neck
- Portion of Moores Mill Road to Close to Local Traffic June 17
- Downtown Streets to Close for SummerNight on June 14
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox