Phenix City man found dead alongside road in Salem | News
At approximately 5:30 PM Tuesday night, Lee County authorities received a 911 call of a man down that had possibly fallen on Lee Road 2071 in Salem. Upon arrival by Lee County deputies and EAMC EMS, they discovered 37 year old Richard Steven Dixon, of Phenix City, with no signs of life.
Lee County Coroner Bill Harris pronounced Dixon dead at the scene at 5:45 PM. It is unclear at this time as to exactly what happened. Dixon was reportedly doing some electrical work at the residence. The owner of the residence had dropped Dixon off earlier and when he returned, found Dixon lying on the ground at the base of a ladder that was leaning against a power utility pole.
No foul play is suspected, but it is unclear at this time whether Dixon just fell from the ladder, or came into contact with the power line on the pole. According to Alabama Power Company officials, there was power to the pole, but not to the transformer and residence.
Dixon’s body has been taken to the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences medical examiner’s office in Montgomery to determine the cause of death. Preliminary results could be known as early as Thursday. The case remains under investigation by the Lee County Coroner, Lee County Sheriff’s office, Alabama Dept. of Forensic Sciences and Alabama Power Investigative Division
Source: Lee County Coroner
Top Opelika Stories
Upcoming Events near Opelika
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/10, 6/11
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Auburn Police reminding citizens to lock their doors following recent thefts
- Auburn man arrested for allegedly stabbing man in the neck
- Portion of Moores Mill Road to Close to Local Traffic June 17
- Downtown Streets to Close for SummerNight on June 14
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox