Campbell, Hoover run over Opelika 31-0 | News
AUBURN, Ala. (AP)- Hoover running back Calen Campbell ran for 191 yards and three touchdowns in the Buccaneers' 31-0 victory over Opelika in the Class 6A state championship game Friday night at Jordan-Hare Stadium.
The win was the Buccaneers' first state championship since 2009 and seventh in 13 years.
Campbell, the game's MVP, opened the scoring with a 64-yard run 9 minutes into the game, and he added a 3-yard touchdown run 32 seconds later after Marlon Humphrey intercepted a pass and returned it to the 3.
The closest Opelika (10-5) came to scoring was on an 89-yard second-quarter drive that ended with a missed 23-yard field goal.
Hoover quarterback Connor Short - who completed 13 of 21 for 146 yards - threw a 7-yard touchdown strike to Cooper Carden with 8:43 remaining that put Hoover up 24-0, and a 45-yard run by Campbell finished the scoring with 2 minutes left.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
Top Opelika Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Grants boost 'Click it or Ticket' enforcement over Memorial Day holida
- 1 Alex City police officer fired, second arrested but back on the job
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 5/21
- Suspect identities released in connection with multi-county drug sting
- Seven arrested in multi-county narcotics sting
- Residents react to shots fired following graduation ceremony
- Shots fired after Macon Co. school graduation; all classes canceled Thursday
- U.S. Sec. of Ag. speaks to Tuskegee U. grads, opens new building
- Macon County's unemployment rate for March
- Tuskegee City Council approves Public Works Employee pay raise