Child dies in Opelika house fire | News
OPELIKA, AL (WSFA) - Authorities are looking in to the cause of a late night Opelika house fire that killed an 11-year-old boy.
According to the Lee County Coroner, authorities received a call to a house fire late Monday night, around 10:46 p.m., to a house fire on Bulloch Street in Opelika. Upon arrival it was discovered that a child may have still been inside the burning home.
An Opelika fireman located 11-year-old Nicholas Jordan Dennison in the back bedroom of the house. He was rushed to East Alabama Medical Center where he was pronounced dead on arrival.
Witnesses on the scene say two other siblings were in the home at the time of the fire however they were able to escape. The cause of this blaze is still under investigation.
Dennison's body has been taken to the State Medical Examiner's Office in Montgomery for an autopsy.
Top Opelika Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Undocumented immigrant kills girlfriend in Alex City murder-suicide
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Auburn police plan 2 checkpoints on June 26
- Pair caught with stolen property, hit with theft and drug charges
- Briggs and Stratton to Sponsor Annual Fourth of July Celebration
- Auburn City Pools Offer Float-N-Movies and Friday Night Splash Events
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox