Opelika PD investigating Sunday night murder | Crime
OPELIKA, AL (WSFA) - Opelika Police are investigating a murder that took place at approximately 9:10 p.m. Sunday. OPD and Fire and EAMC EMS responded to the scene of a shooting in the 700 block of Dogwood Avenue.
Upon arrival, authorities found Andrew Jones, age 29 of Tuskegee, lying in the driveway with an apparent gunshot wound to the abdomen. Jones was transported to the emergency room at East Alabama Medical Center. While in surgery, Jones succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced dead at 11:57 p.m.
Jones' body has been taken to the medical examiner's office at the Alabama Department of Forensic Sciences for autopsy. The incident remains under investigation by the Opelika Police, the Lee County Coroner’s Office, and the Alabama Dept. of Forensic Sciences.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Opelika Police Department Investigative Services Division at 334-705-5220 or the Secret Witness Hotline 334-745-8665.
This is the second homicide this month in Opelika.
Top Opelika Stories
Upcoming Events near Opelika
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/10, 6/11
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Auburn Police reminding citizens to lock their doors following recent thefts
- Auburn man arrested for allegedly stabbing man in the neck
- Portion of Moores Mill Road to Close to Local Traffic June 17
- Downtown Streets to Close for SummerNight on June 14
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox