Opelika murder suspect arrested | Crime
OPELIKA, AL (WSFA) - Opelika Police say a man is now in custody and charged with murder in connection with a March 10 shooting death off of Cherry Circle.
Police say 33-year-old Opelika Resident Ashford Nickolas Milford has been arrested and charged with the shooting death of 39-year-old Harvey Pete Sanford.
The incident happened on Sunday, March 10 around 3:10 p.m. in the 1700 block of Cherry Circle. Authorities responded to the scene where they found Sanford on the sidewalk suffering from a gunshot wound to the abdomen. Witnesses told authorities they heard several gunshots and they saw a gray or silver Mercedes speeding from the area.
Sanford was taken to East Alabama Medical Center for treatment where he later died.
Milford was taken into custody without incident and transferred to the Lee County Detention Facility.
Top Opelika Stories
Upcoming Events near Opelika
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/10, 6/11
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Auburn Police reminding citizens to lock their doors following recent thefts
- Auburn man arrested for allegedly stabbing man in the neck
- Portion of Moores Mill Road to Close to Local Traffic June 17
- Downtown Streets to Close for SummerNight on June 14
- Tuskegee election lawsuit heads back to court
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox