April's unemployment rate for Lee County |
Title (Max 100 Characters)
Governor Robert Bentley announced today that Alabama’s preliminary April unemployment rate is 7.2%, down from March’s revised rate of 7.4%. April’s rate represents 154,307 unemployed persons, down from 157,494 last month and 203,520 in April 2011.
"Alabama hasn’t seen an unemployment rate this low since the start of the recession," Governor Bentley said. "I think we are getting to a point where we are seeing many areas of the economy improving. For example, the automotive base in Alabama is increasingly strong. Just yesterday, we announced Toyota Motor Manufacturing of Alabama will be expanding its production facility in Huntsville. We have also seen many other exciting developments across the state that are leading to new jobs for Alabamians. We will continue our job creation efforts with the goal that anyone who wants a job is able to find one."
Wage and salary employment increased by 8,500 jobs over the month, with gains occurring in the leisure and hospitality industry, the professional and business services industry, and the trade, transportation, and utilities industry, among others.
The last time Alabama’s unemployment rate was at or below 7.2% was in November of 2008.
The counties with the lowest unemployment rates are: Shelby County at 4.6%, Coffee County at 5.3%, Lee County at 5.6%, and Limestone County at 5.6%. The counties with the highest unemployment rates are: Wilcox County at 15.1%, Lowndes County at 13.9%, and Dallas County at 12.2%.
In Lee County, the unemployment rate for April was 5.6%, down from 6.2% in March and down from 7.1% a year ago.
Source: The Press Office for Governor Robert Bentley
Top Opelika Stories
Upcoming Events near Opelika
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/10, 6/11
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Auburn Police reminding citizens to lock their doors following recent thefts
- Auburn man arrested for allegedly stabbing man in the neck
- Portion of Moores Mill Road to Close to Local Traffic June 17
- Downtown Streets to Close for SummerNight on June 14
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox