Arrests made after more than 230 pounds of marijuana recovered | Crime
OPELIKA, AL. (WSFA) - Two men are in jail after authorities intercepted more than 230 pounds of marijuana shipped by UPS spanning over four different days.
On December 24, 2010 the Opelika Police Department was called to the UPS Office on Fox Run Parkway in Opelika in reference to two suspicious boxes. A narcotics K-9 was called in and indicated the presence of a controlled substance. A search warrant was obtained for the boxes. Inside they found 78 lbs. of marijuana scheduled to be delivered to T.W. Taxidermy in Notasulga, Alabama.
A search warrant was obtained for that address. On December 28, 2010, members of the Opelika Police Department, the Lee County Sheriff's Office, ABC Board, and the County-Wide Swat team made a controlled delivery of the marijuana to the address. Terry Lee Wynn, 43 of Notasulga, was arrested for Trafficking in Marijuana.
During a seach of the premesis an additional quantity of marijuana was recovered along with seven gallons of moonshine.
On December 29, 2010 Police were called back to the same UPS location where three additional boxes of marijuana were intercepted. Two of the boxes were scheduled to be sent to the same place as before. They contained 79 pounds of marijuana. Those two boxes were seized and placed into evidence. The third box was scheduled to be delivered to Shawn Woods in Tuskegee, Alabama. ABC Agents recovered that box which contained 42 pounds of marijuana.
On December 30, 2010 members of the Opelika Police Department, ABC Agents, U.S. Marshall's , Lee County Sheriff's Office and Macon County Sheriff's Office made a controlled delivery of the marijuana to the address in Tuskegee. Otis Lashun Woods, 36 years of age, of Tuskegee was arrested for Trafficking in Marijuana.
And once again on December 31,2010 authorities were called back to the UPS Store where they intercepted one more box of marijuana weighing 44 pounds. This box was also scheduled to be delivered to T.W. Taxidermy in Notasulga. The box was placed into evidence at the Opelika Police Department.
For those of you keeping score at home that's a total of 243 pounds of marijuana shipped through UPS and recovered by authorities with an estimated street value of $276,000. And don't forget the seven gallons of moonshine.
Top Opelika Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Undocumented immigrant kills girlfriend in Alex City murder-suicide
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Police continue investigating shots fired into building on 280
- 6/18/2013: Front Page: Lake stakeholders oppose FERC’S refusal of proposal
- Tallapoosa County Sheriff's Department Blotter - 6/14 - 6/16
- Alex City authorities start death investigation after couple found dead inside home
- Auburn police plan 2 checkpoints on June 26
- Pair caught with stolen property, hit with theft and drug charges
- Briggs and Stratton to Sponsor Annual Fourth of July Celebration
- Auburn City Pools Offer Float-N-Movies and Friday Night Splash Events
- Lee County Association of REALTORS awards over $13,600 to two local charities
- Interstate 85 reopened after fatal, 4-vehicle crash; GA man killed in collision
- Tuskegee election lawsuit dismissed
- Heavy delays on I-85 NB just inside Macon Co. due to overturned vehicle
- Alabama releases 2011-2012 graduation rates for Macon County schools
- Tuskegee man files patent infringement suit against Redbox